Defending Your Rights Against Drug Possession
If you are caught manufacturing, smuggling, cultivating, distributing, or possessing illegal narcotics, you could face steep penalties. Drug crimes charges can result in years in jail, high fines, and other penalties. If you are arrested for a drug offense, you need to hire an aggressive lawyer to represent you. We work to protect your best interests throughout your criminal defense case!
Texas Laws Concerning Controlled Substances
The Texas Controlled Substances Act governs most drug offenses in the state. Under the Texas law, there are four different classes or schedules of drugs. Each year, the Commissioner of Health signs a new list of schedules, which supersedes all previous forms of the list. These schedules are in pursuant with the Texas Controlled Substances Act, Health and Safety Code, Chapter 481.
The four penalty groups are organized as follows:
- Penalty Group 1: This group includes cocaine, heroin, oxycodone, hydrocodone, ketamine, and methamphetamine.
- Penalty Group 1(a): This subgroup includes LSD. People who have less than 20 units of LSD when arrested may receive a state jail felony charge.
- Penalty Group 2: This category includes Ecstasy, PCP, Marinol, and Mescaline.
- Penalty Group 3: This group involves Valium, Ritalin, Xanax, and hydrocodone.
- Penalty Group 4: Drugs in this group include dionine, Motofen, pyrovalerone, and buprenorphine.
Possession of Marijuana
Marijuana is addressed separately under Texas law. Possession of less than 2 ounces of marijuana can result in a Class B misdemeanor; possession of between 2 and 4 ounces can result in a Class A misdemeanor. If you are caught with between 4 ounces and 5 pounds of the drug, you can be charged with a state jail felony, and people with between 5 and 50 pounds can charged with a third-degree felony. Possession of more than 50 pounds can lead to a second-degree felony charge, and more than 2,000 pounds can result in a first-degree felony charge.
Contact Our Firm for a Free Consultation
If you need assistance in a drug defense case, don’t hesitate to contact our criminal law firm today! We can handle all types of drug cases and can do our best to give you the assistance that you need. Call our criminal defense firm for a free consultation today.