Divorce Modification

Post-Decree Modification

Once the Texas family courts get involved in a child’s upbringing by issuing child custody and support decrees, they have the ability to modify those decrees in order to bring them up to date to current circumstances. This means that no child custody order is permanent and a divorce modification is possible.

At the Schneider Law Firm our family law attorneys represent parents who are pursuing or opposing child custody modification or support modification suits. To learn more about post-decree modification in Texas, contact us today to schedule a free consultation.

Making Changes to Custody and Visitation

As children get older and their relationships with their parents change, there are many situations where one or both parents may want to change the child custody and visitation arrangements that have been put in place during a divorce or other family law case.

If the family court finds that post-decree child custody modification is in the child’s best interests and that statutory elements have been met, it can alter among many things, managing conservatorship, residential restrictions and possession periods.

In many cases, parents whose parental rights have been restricted due to family violence or drug abuse issues are looking for an opportunity to show that they have made progress dealing with those issues. In other cases, there may be new concerns about one parent’s abuse or neglect.

Any time a parent wants to relocate, post-decree modification may be required. Many child custody orders limit how far a parent can move with a child, and a parent who has visitation rights may need to revise the visitation schedule if he or she moves.

Counsel from a Family Law Attorney

Our lawyers can help you choose the best strategy for pursuing or responding to a child custody modification request based on your specific circumstances.

Bringing Child Support Up to Date

Child support payments can also be modified when the underlying circumstances – the income of the supporting parent and his or her total number of children – have changed so that the previous child support obligation would no longer be fair to the parent or child.

The courts do not want parents constantly seeking minor child support adjustments, so except in the case of substantial changes in circumstances – such as a long-term job loss or a major promotion – child support modification requests are limited to every three years.

If you are interested in seeking post-decree modification of child custody or support, or if your ex is seeking modification, contact us to discuss your options.