COVID-19 UPDATE: We are open to serve you, with in office visits, remotely via teleconference, & video conference. Call Today!

Playing Hi-Lo: 3 Year Child Support Review

Most folks don’t realize that after 3 years if there is at least a 20% or $100.00 difference between the guideline child support amount at the time the order was signed and the amount that would be awarded under guidelines in the present day, they can go through a child support review. This review is useful for both payers (“obligors”) and receivers (“obligees”) of child support.

If you receive child support and know the party paying child support received a raise, was promoted, or  got a second job and it has been 3 years or more since the order was signed you can request a review. This review will help raise the child support in accordance with the other party’s new earnings. Unfortunately the child support office doesn’t automatically recalculate child support when someone gets a promotion or a second job but the review means you have the power to request a change for the support of your child.

If you are paying child support and you have a situation where you become unemployed or lose the job you had when the order was first signed and took a job that pays less the judge can assess the situation to see if the child support can be reduced. Though a review is not going to eliminate child support, even if you are unemployed. If you are considered able to work, judges will likely at least order child support in accordance with full-time minimum wage earnings. If you have special skills or degrees and the judge finds you to be intentionally underemployed, the judge may order child support in the amount in accordance with the person’s earning capacity. This helps ensure to make sure people who have the earning capacity to support their children do so.

Judges consider many factors when going through a review such as the person’s current job, earning capacity, the job market, and other children to name a few. It’s a good idea to contact a lawyer and discuss the options for filing a child support review and the likelihood of what will happen and how child support can be adjusted. If it has been 3 years or more since your last child support order was signed, schedule a free 30-minute consult with the attorneys at Schneider Law Firm and see what they can do for you.

Fastest Way Out Of A Marriage

Uncontested Divorce

You may have heard that divorces take years to sort and finalize. But if you and your spouse seem to have it all worked out, the fastest way to a divorce is through an agreed divorce also known as an uncontested divorce. Uncontested means you both agree on the division of assets and child custody.

From the date your attorney files the petition for divorce you must wait sixty days before the divorce can be finalized. In that time you and your spouse’s attorney can tailor a divorce decree to suit the way you both agree to split the assets and child custody. If for some reason this process brings up a disagreement on assets or custody that cannot easily be resolved or remedied, the divorce becomes contested and the judge gets involved in sorting out the matter. This is when divorces start to become lengthy drawn out processes. However, if you and your spouse know and agree on how you want everything divided, the process can be done relatively quickly.

Simple Agreed Divorce

In Texas there is no such thing as legally separated so if you and your spouse have agreed to part ways, the quickest legal method is an uncontested divorce. If you are considering an agreed divorce to fast track the split with your spouse, call Schneider Law Firm to set up your free 30-minute consult with one of our experienced divorce attorneys.